There is horror cinema. And then there is splatter cinema.
There is drug use. And then there is drug addiction.
There is heavy metal. And then there is extreme metal. Continue reading
1. Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf (Interscope)
2. Isis – Oceanic (Ipecac)
• Bad Penny interview: “Isis’ Aaron Turner In ’02: Oceanic Is ‘The Best Material We’ve Ever Written’ ”
• Bad Penny essay: “Isis’ Oceanic: Mystery Revealed?”
If the name “J.C. Quinn” actually rings a bell, then you’ve probably seen “Turner and Hooch” way too many times. Which is to say, even once. The poor dude – he died in a car crash in 2004 – also appeared in “The Abyss” (pictured to the right), “The Prophecy” and “Barfly.” Plus he was slated to appear in the subsequently scrapped TV pilot “How I Met the Mother of Mastodon’s Brent Hinds.”
1. Mastodon – Crack the Skye (Warner Bros.)
• “Doppelgängers: Mastodon’s Brent Hinds and Actor J.C. Quinn”
2. Dethklok – Dethalbum II (Williams Street)
1. Silversun Pickups – Carnavas (Dangerbird)
2. Mastodon – Blood Mountain (Warner Bros.) Continue reading
1. The Mars Volta, De-Loused in the Comatorium(Universal): A perfect hour’s worth of death-defying, acrobatic saga rock by the most ambitious rookie squad in years.
2. Electric Six – Fire (Beggars XL): Novelty and frivolity reach frighteningly infectious heights on this guilty treasure. Blondie would be jealous. Continue reading