Best Albums Of 2000
1. Queens of the Stone Age – Rated R (Interscope): Heavyweights in their own right, QOTSA are the closest thing we have to Nirvana right now.
2. PJ Harvey – Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea (Island): If she goes on for as long and as strong as Tina Turner has, I’ll die a happy man.
3. At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command (Grand Royal): A densely layered, complex punk delight. Three times as exciting as any TNT James Bond marathon.
4. The Fucking Champs – IV (Drag City): Name says it all.
5. Blonde Redhead – Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons (Touch and Go): As anomalous as its title, this is Blonde Redhead’s weep du jour.
6. Sweep the Leg Johnny – Sto Cazzo!: An avant-jazz punk combo so beyond their time it hurts.
7. Enon – Believo! (See Thru Broadcasting): Haven’t had this much fun since I rediscovered “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.”
8. Sunny Day Real Estate – The Rising Tide (Time Bomb): At last inching toward Diary, the only thing more breathtaking was witnessing them live.
9. Grandaddy – The Sophtware Slump (V2): How could a technological wasteland be so beautiful?
10. Yo La Tengo – And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out (Matador): Could hardly make it through the entire thing, kept putting me to sleep. Yes, that is a good thing.
11. Quickspace – The Death of Quickspace (Matador): If I do get in that fatal car crash, I hope these angels are there to whisk me away to heaven … or hell.
12. Le Tigre – Le Tigre (Mr. Lady): Garage DJs? Never a dull moment.
13. The Murder City Devils – In Name and Blood (Sub Pop): Funny, these are the guys my mom always told me to stay away from.
• “Spencer Moody On Murder City Devils’ Breakup: ‘Everyone Was Ready For A Change’”
14. Mondo Generator – Cocaine Rodeo (Southern Lord): QOTSA side project nastier than a dope dealer with scurvy … devouring rats … in a dumpster.
15. The Black Heart Procession – Three (Touch and Go): Suddenly my life doesn’t seem so bleak anymore.
Honorable mentions: Broadcast – The Noise Made by People (Warp); Bright Eyes – Fevers and Mirrors (Saddle Creek); Unida – Coping With the Urban Coyote (Man’s Ruin); Chicks on Speed – The Un-Releases (K); the Brian Jonestown Massacre – Zero EP (Bomp).
Originally published as “Special Olympics 2000” on VirginMega.com.